writerlibrarian

What I'm reading

Librarian, book lover, avid reader

Roman Blood
Arthur Conan Doyle
The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien, Alan Lee

Berlin Noir: March Violets; The Pale Criminal; A German Requiem

Berlin Noir: March Violets / The Pale Criminal / A German Requiem - Philip Kerr In one big paperback you get the complete Berlin trilogy: March Violets; The Pale Criminal and A German Requiem. This is noir at its best. Taking his cues from Chandler but making them its own, Kerr takes us into Berlin, 1936. Summer Olympics. Bernhard Gunther, ex-cop, now a private detective mostly finds missing persons and there are lot of them in Nazi's Berlin. Murder, politics and a very nice twist makes March Violets a very good start to a wonderful ride thru this dark part of history. The Pale Criminal finds Bernie back on the force in 1938 on the edge of war when Berlin experiences the mad spree of a serial killer. A German Requiem opens in 1947, in a devastated Berlin, Bernie is again a private detective living day to day and watching his wife romance US soldiers. An old cop buddy needs Bernie to prove him innocent of murder. We go along with Bernie to post war Vienna and the web of intrigues have layers upon layers. I just loved these books. Completely. There are thrilling, unexpected and give the reader quite a ride. The good news is that Philip Kerr revisited this universe with "One From the Other" set in 1949 published in September 2006