writerlibrarian

What I'm reading

Librarian, book lover, avid reader

Roman Blood
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories: Volumes I and II
Arthur Conan Doyle
The Hobbit
J.R.R. Tolkien, Alan Lee

The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Book 4)

The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #4) - Alexander McCall Smith Fourth installment in this amazing series. You don't read Mma Ramotswe novels for the action or even for the mysteries. You read them for the gentle rhythm of the narration, the wise philosophy of the characters. In this we rejoin Mma Ramostwe as she waits for her fiancée to set a date for their wedding after his illness. Mr Matekoni is slowly coming out of depression and finds his motor repair shop in the good hands of Mma Makutsi who shares her time between the detective agency and the auto repair shop. The joy of these novels is the intimate view of how the characters live, their values, how they set goals for themselves and go after them. Mma Makutsi finds a way to get ahead and make a life for herself beyond the limits of her current situation : single, with a sick brother to take care of and very low income. Mma Ramotswe faces competition with the opening of a new detective agency run by a male detective with international experience. Everything ends well, despite some minor moral growing pains. I like the philosophy, the values McCall Smith projects thru his characters in this simple, yet very nourishing for the soul, series.